[theora-dev] Seek issue in cortado player

Nigel Simpson nigel at matsuplace.com
Wed Mar 10 18:12:50 PST 2010

One of the issues I've consistently run into with the cortado player app is seek behavior, so I was curious to see how cortado handles video encoded with the latest ffmpeg2theora (0.26) and the new -seek-index option, so I tried converting an h.264 video:

ffmpeg2theora tronlegacy-tsr1_480p.mov --seek-index

This output the following advisory messages:

> Allocated 372 bytes for theora keyframe index, 114 are unused. Rerun with '--theora-index-reserve 258' to encode with the optimal sized theora index, or use OggIndex to re-index.
> Allocated 372 bytes for vorbis keyframe index, 59 are unused. Rerun with '--vorbis-index-reserve 313' to encode with the optimal sized vorbis index, or use OggIndex to re-index.

So, I re-encoded using the recommended parameters:

ffmpeg2theora tronlegacy-tsr1_480p.mov --seek-index --theora-index-reserve 258 --vorbis-index-reserve 313

When I play the converted video using cortado 0.5.2, seeking still seems to be broken. For example: play a video, pause and then press play, the player resumes several seconds after the paused position. Also, pause and drag the time slider. The slider jumps to a new position after you release the drag rather than where the slider was dragged.

Does cortado support OggIndex?
Are there any workarounds for reliably getting and setting the playback position?

Thanks!

Nigel