[theora-dev] theorarm build
davemilici at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 24 11:51:18 PDT 2010
I tried building the ARM-optimized theora codec from the theorarm-
merge-branch, and encountered the following compile and runtime
problems before getting something to run. If there is another way to
build it, it would be nice to know, but I got the sense that its
current state in svn is incomplete.
I'm using a gcc cross-compiler for ARM on an x86 Linux PC. After
running configure for arm-linux-gcc, I had to make the following mods
(1) The assembler .s files in ./lib/arm needed to be converted to gcc-
compatible format with arm2gcc.pl script.
(2) When turning off ARMV6 and ARM_HAS_NEON switches, the ARMfrag.s
files had a misplaced .endif directive that needed to be relocated.
(3) The CCASFLAGS options needed to be set to "-Xassembler -Iarm/" to
locate dependent .s files for assembly.
(4) The ARMstate.c file had a couple mismatched function parameter
types which needed fixing.
(5) When linking completed, the resulting libtheora.so binary was not
able to load due to unresolved symbols. The missing functions were
in .s files which were not included in the ./lib makefile object list.
(6) Modifying the makefile to assemble the additional .s files yielded
a libtheora.so binary which loaded but segfaulted in one of the added
(7) The extra functions missing from the original makefile were
conditionally linked instead of their C versions based on OC_ARM_ASM
Undefining OC_ARM_ASM in these C functions and relinking the original
set of assembler object files finally yielded a usable library.
The resulting libtheora.so was noticeably faster than its C-only
version on an ARM926 device, so this would be worthwhile to pursue. If
interested I can post patches when I get back to my workstation.
However I'd like to avoid any further confusion or unnecessary effort
if there's active development in this branch.
More information about the theora-dev