[theora-dev] Ogg files incompatible

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri Feb 12 08:25:20 PST 2010

>> If I'm not mistaken, they were encoded using ffmpeg2theora so that it's
>> compatible with (the broken) ffmpeg shouldn't be surprising.  So basically,
>> no one's using the "new" specification...
>
> Plenty of people are using the new spec, but ffmpeg was very very late
> to the party.

Oops, I should clarify---

There is no 'new spec' and 'old spec'.  There has always been only one
Theora spec, which has always included more features than the original
VP3.  Ffmpeg, however, has always mistakenly treated Theora as just a
rebadged VP3 and for a long time our own encoder defaulted to
outputting VP3 compatible bitstreams.  During this period, ffmpeg
refused to implement the full Theora spec as it wasn't important to
them (traditionally, a large fraction of the ffmpeg community have
been h264 activitsts, and this faction considers Theora an irritating
distraction).

Monty