[theora-dev] Response to your questions about my suggestions i sent in yesterday

salsaman salsaman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 22:15:28 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 1:06 AM, Ryan smith<ryan14 at mail.com> wrote:
> I sent in some suggestions regarding Theora yesterday and I got some
> questions from you guys so I'll answer them.
>
> i said this:
> Theora should have a feature that disables print screen and video recording
> software from capturing Theora videos.
>
> Alot of you asked me about the Fair Use law. My answer is this. i do know
> about fair use. The problem is, alot of people don't obey the fair use law
> as u see with companies getting youtube to take down full videos of their tv
> shows. People can still have fair use if u disabled printscreen etc. They
> can get a digital camera and take a photo of the screen. But it will waste
> more of a person's time who uploads full tv shows which is not fair use, and
> anything that makes it harder for a person who breaches the fair use law is
> a good thing.
>   Think of it like plasma and lcd tv's, most of them do not have a hard
> drive recorder built into them to record tv shows. You have to buy a dvd
> recorder seperately. There
> is no law that says lcd/plasma tv manufacturers have to have a hard drive
> inside the tv's so people can record and use the video for fair
> use. Musicians don't have to provide written lyrics to their songs so people
> may have to listen to the entire song and write down the
> lyrics themselves. Alot of dvd's have copy protection on them so people
> don't make copies and sell them.
>  So that's why if it's possible, Theora should disable printscreen and video
> capture software from recording videos using the Theora codec and people can
> still have fair use. I think there is some Actionscript code that can
> disable printscreen etc for Flash videos so Theora should try.

The reason I found this funny - a) theora is a codec (data), not a
program (code). You should look up the difference. and b) even if it
were code, it is simply not possible for one program to affect another
in this way. For the same reason, I cant send an email that
automatically disappears after 1 week - because it is up to the email
reading program whether it deletes the email or not. Do you understand
this ?

> Some of you thought my suggestions are not for this mailing list. i'm sorry
> for that but i am only a technology newbie so i didn't know.
>
> i also said this:
> Theora should have a feature where when a user plays a video using
> the Theora player, the video will be compressed so the file size is smaller
> and  it will be faster to load. The quality of the video should remain the
> same.  For example, some 2 hour 16:9 Widescreen High definition 1080p videos
> are  4Gigabytes in size, so Theora should compress this 4GB video into
> 100MB  without losing any quality.
>
> Now for those that found this funny because you think it's impossible, well
> all i can say is new technologies are coming out all the time. 100 years ago
> they didn't even
> have cellphones, and now we do. Just this year, researchers have found a way
> to store 100 DVD's of information onto a single DVD that can be found here:
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10246057-1.html

I read the article, they talk about storing 100 regular DVDs on a
special new type of DVD, (which obviously has at least 100 times the
storage capacity).

Salsaman.