[theora-dev] libtheora 1.1beta1 release

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Wed Aug 5 13:46:59 PDT 2009

All,

After months of intensive development, we're finally coming to a
stopping point in our rewrite of the libtheora reference
implementation. All major features for the 1.1 are in, so it's down to
bug fixing now. Please try this first beta and give us feedback. Most
notable is that the encoder's rate control is much more configurable,
and more capable in each configuration than before. It now supports
two-pass, dynamic target adjustment, frame dropping, and other
oft-requested features.

For now the only documentation of the two-pass support is in
examples/png2theora.c and examples/encoder_example.c. We'd
particularly like to hear from framework and application integrators
about how well the API design works.

Source releases are available from the usual location:

* http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/theora/libtheora-1.1beta1.tar.gz
* http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/theora/libtheora-1.1beta1.tar.bz2
* http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/theora/libtheora-1.1beta1.tar.xz
* http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/theora/libtheora-1.1beta1.zip

MD5 checksums:

  4b5e93ff571edb394d931c1228aaa351  libtheora-1.1beta1.tar.bz2
  34e84b295c12c645816ed491b070f59e  libtheora-1.1beta1.tar.gz
  6eee1d20172f89f29218c5a89666a7d8  libtheora-1.1beta1.tar.xz
  05630c997c1e6d9afb0b2b788ecce2d0  libtheora-1.1beta1.zip

Note that if you've been following this rewrite under the "thusnelda"
codename branch in the source repository, it has now moved to trunk. A
normal svn checkout http://svn.xiph.org/trunk/theora will now get the
1.1 code.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this release, and especially to
the Mozilla Foundation and Red Hat who supported this work.