[theora-dev] Re: YUV to RGB

Shane Stephens shane.stephens at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 02:52:47 PST 2008

Hi,

Be aware that the SSE implementation in oggplay is not perfect - in
particular it does not correctly do linear interpolation of 4 pixel values
for chrominance (instead it uses 2 values per pixel).  Actually, strictly
speaking I think it's MMX from memory (using fixed-point integer arithmetic
instead of floating-point arithmetic).

Fragment shaders vs. vector-based CPU instructions is an interesting trade
off - on the one hand fragment shaders free up CPU cycles; on the other the
vector-based routine is a fraction of the cost of Theora decoding (I measure
about 11%) and I bet more existing Intel-based machines support MMX than
fragment shading.

Cheers,
    -Shane