[theora-dev] Theora got extreamly slow (Makefile.am was changed)

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Apr 23 08:00:44 PDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 9:34 AM, R. P. Janaka <rpjanaka at gmail.com> wrote:
> In my application there are two threads. One is the theora encoder the other
> is a bandwidth measuring program.
>
> Both of them are working properly when they are separated. (theora is
> obviously working properly, bandwidth measuring component also working
> properly)
>
> So this problem is occurred when both these are joined (encoder is the main
> thread, bandwidth measurer is the child thread)

This is the basic definition of a 'concurrency bug'.  Just because
they work seperately doesn't mean there aren't substantial bugs that
will pop out when two threads work together.  Why do you think this
has anything to do with the Makefile?

Turning on optimization will often make a buggy program behave
differently because it changes the relative timings between threads.

> So i think that the problem is with my makefile. Please can anyone help me
> to find the problem

I would be very surprised if the makefile has anything to do with it.
Designing concurrent programs (threads especially) is perhaps the
single hardest thing in software engineering.  Debugging even very
simple multithreaded programs can be maddening because the simple act
of turning on debugging or turning off optimization can drastically
change how a bug behaves.

I'd love to help, but it would drive me insane....

Monty