[theora-dev] Implementing an adaptive compression mechanism

janaka priyadarshana rpjanaka at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 23:16:53 PDT 2007

hi all.

 I have proposed to add an adaptive comparison mechanism for the Theora
encoder. this may important specially for video streaming applications. it
is as follow. please if there is any comments about this mechanism they are
highly appreciating.

 there is a separate application for monitor the available network
bandwidth.

this unit send signals to the comparison engine.

according to the received signals the comparison engine will encode the
video stream.

   -

   if the available bandwidth is high a frame will include more
   informations (lesser information loss) and the output video is high in
   quality.
   -

   if the available bandwidth is low, the stream will highly compressed
   (higher data loss) and the output video quality may be degraded.

to implement this mechanism, it should be possible to change the compression
ratio from the Theora encoder. I want to know whether this is possible or
not..?