[theora-dev] libtheora 1.0 beta3 supports multithread encoder?

Timothy B. Terriberry tterribe at email.unc.edu
Thu Nov 1 14:58:12 PDT 2007

Zhang Zhongshan wrote:
> one other fix you guys might want to put in before 1.0 is the ASM
> optimization on Win32. i would suggest change the inline asm to intel
> intrinsics if possible. thats the recommended way of doing asm code
> nowadays. and it should be supported by both gcc and vc++?

My understanding is that a) there are still differences between gcc and
MSVC and b) gcc's code generation for intrinsics is not actually very
good, which would result in slower code than we've already got.

Considering that mingw32 can already compile the gcc-style inline asm on
Windows, I don't see this as a big issue. If you insist on using a
non-free compiler (which none of the core Theora developers actually
have), and yet are unwilling to use pre-compiled binaries (which,
admittedly, we need to post in a more formal, organized manner), then
you lose asm optimization. If that case were actually terribly
important, than someone would've come forward to provide a solution for
it already.

Obviously we would not refuse a patch (of acceptable quality), but in
the mean time there are more important things to work on.