[theora-dev] libtheora 1.0 beta3 supports multithread encoder?

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Thu Nov 1 09:14:50 PDT 2007

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 09:44:10AM +0000, Luis Gonzalez wrote:

> I see in the libtheora 1.0 beta3 changelog that included new libtheoradec and libtheoraenc libraries supporting the new API from theora-exp , that it means that have multithread encoder?

No, this is just a packaging issue. We want to transition to separate
encoder and decoder libraries and the new api.

We haven't merged the multithreaded encoder yet. I'd planned to do that
after 1.0.

More generally, Monty has been trying to improve the rate control a bit.
We'll probably hold 1.0 for that project. Beta3 is waiting on emulating
the theora-exp encoder api in the mainline encoder. So the current todo/
roadmap looks something like:

1.0beta3 (end of next week) :

* support theora-exp encoder api in libtheoraenc

1.0beta4 (hopefully by the end of November)

* improved rate control
* fix known png2theora bug

1.0 release (two weeks after beta4, hopefully with no changes)

1.1 (whenever)

* merge multithreaded encoder/decoder
* post-VP3 mode support in the encoder.
* rgb in/out