[theora-dev] Blog post about Theora and MSVC assembly

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Fri Dec 21 16:01:33 PST 2007

On Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 12:44:30AM +0100, Nils Pipenbrinck wrote:

> We could lend techniques from the dynamic code generation guys: Store
> the meta code in our own format (must not contain any dynamic things,
> just our own representation of assembly) and convert/compile them to a
> function in executable memory on library startup.

We'd be very happy if the meta code was gcc inline assembly. :)

Sebastian reminded me about Timothy's (other) objection which IIRC was
that with nasm you have to do all the function call stuff in asm instead
of C, which is tedious.

Several people have also suggested intrinsics. I'm not clear if it's
possible to do useful code with them that's portable between msvc and
gcc.

> Just an uneducated guess: 90% of the folks that use theorea will use
> win32 or linux. Why not simply supply preassembled object files for
> win32 and linux along with the nasm soucecode that build out of the box.
> Those who want a build from scratch can install NASM, but noone is
> forced to.

Currently we're doing that, except with mingw instead of nasm for
developers on Windows. And not including the object files in the
package. Apparently mingw can't make object files msvc can link?