[theora-dev] Experimental release of Ghost/CELT 0.0.1

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Mon Dec 10 14:36:15 PST 2007

> Hi everyone, I've just made the first public release of some new
> *experimental* codec work I've been doing (part of the vague Ghost
> project) with help from Monty and Timothy. This is mainly intended
> with developers with DSP knowledge, not for doing anything useful with
> it (but it does encode and decode already). Also, the main idea is
> *not* to replace either Speex or Vorbis, but to code audio with really
> low latency -- currently 8 ms.

I just wanted to complain about your codec using (patent-encumbered)
arithmetic encoding, but now I noticed you're actually using range
compression, all of this wrapped in a neat reusable library.

Not bad.  I somewhat had the impression that the non-adaptive huffman
coding was one thing holding patent free codecs (ie Vorbis, Theora)
back.

So any chance we're also going to see upgrades to Vorbis, Theora? :)

Personally I would be more interested in listening to a 32kbit sample.
This is a bitrate I never managed Vorbis to output any decent quality
at.  Compared to some 32kbit realaudio webcasts I've listened to which
were almost artifact free.  Hmm, your code compiles, but I don't seem to
find the bitrate knob.  I guess this is because it's not yet
implemented?

cheers,

David

PS: the URLs to papers in 'bitree.c' are broken and need to be updated...