[Theora-dev] theora-exp namespacing

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Tue Mar 28 17:45:11 PST 2006

All,

There was a discussion on IRC yesterday about cleaning up Derf's
theora-exp implementation so it can be used in frameworks that
also link to libtheora. The encoder doesn't work at the moment,
but the decoder is faster and implements more of the spec than
libtheora, so this would be a useful option for people trying
to deploy players.

The main thing that needs to be done is to namespace everything
separately. Currently there's some overlap, in part because we'd
intended to converge the APIs before the 1.0 release. I now think
that libtheora 1.0 should keep backward compatibility with the late
alpha API since it's so widely deployed, so that's not going to happen.

There was some discussion of what to use for a prefix. I suggest th_*
or symbols, TH_* for defines, and possibly retaining oc_ and OC_* for
internal names. Better suggestions welcome.

The other part is having separate names for the library binaries. This
had already been done, with the code split into libtheoradec,
libtheoraenc, and libtheorabase for shared and utility routines.
However, I've now merged libtheorabase into libtheoradec, so you only
have to link to one library to get a working decoder. Encoders now link
to libtheoraenc and libtheoradec instead of *enc and *base as before.

So in analog to tremor, you -ltheoradec instead of -ltheora now. :)