[theora-dev] FFmpeg's libavcoded

Paul Richards paul.richards at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 10:21:44 PST 2006

I am trying to give libavcodec in ffmpeg the ability to encode theora
video.  I intend to do this by using libtheora in ffmpeg.

The reason for doing this at the libavcodec level and not the
application level (Handbrake) is so that more applications benefit (ie
all that use ffmpeg).

I have heard that the ogg muxer in ffmpeg may need a bit of work, and
so my initial goal is to have the theora video written to an avi
container.

On 29/12/06, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul,
>
> are you saying you're re-implementing ogg encapsulation and theora
> encoding directly into the libavcodec library?
>
> If this is the case: even if you copy most of the source code from
> libogg and libtheora, this entails a code fork with big consequences -
> in particular maintainability.
>
> Am I misunderstanding you here? Or could you explain why you're trying
> to pursue this path instead of just using the existing libraries?
>
> Regards,
> Silvia.
>
> On 12/30/06, Paul Richards <paul.richards at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am aware of ffmpeg2theora, yes.  I am using parts of its source code
> > as reference.
> >
> > FFmpeg2theora uses ffmpeg for input only, the theora output is done
> > entirely with libogg + libtheora directly.  As I am sure you
> > understand my goal is slightly different.
> >

> > PS. Why don't emails sent to this list have the reply-to set to
> > theora-dev at xiph.org?
> >

> > On 29/12/06, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Just checking: you are aware of ffmpeg2theora?
> > >
> > > Silvia.

> > --
> > Paul Richards

Paul Richards