[Theora-dev] FPGA implementation/ players speed?

Ivan Popov pin at medic.chalmers.se
Wed Mar 9 00:24:12 PST 2005

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 06:55:21PM -0700, Andrey Filippov wrote:
> Today I've got first video clips made by the camera and compressed "on the
> fly" - 1280x1024x30fps.

Really impressing!

Pity that it turns out being hard to decode them.

Once I figured out some approximate number
"... 528x320 which my 800 MHz Athlon can play without frame drops."
at 25 fps with a good margin.

If we assume decoding complexity is proportional to the area,
your movie is about 9.3 times more resource-intensive =>
an about 7 GHz processor would be probably adequate.

A test, on a 730 MHz Celeron I can decode your clip with
4 fps, so to come to 30 fps I'd need about 5.5 GHz.

I guess viewing in real time can be done by splitting decoding into threads
(no idea how hard it would be with [hacking] current libtheora) and running
on a dual 3+ GHz machine.

> 1/5 speed ( 6fps) http://www.elphel.com/downloads/aaa78_06.ogg

Regards,
--