[Theora-dev] Status of Windows Theora builds

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Wed Jan 5 11:09:58 PST 2005

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 02:40:29AM +1100, Andre Pang wrote:

> Just a heads up to let you know that I've fixed up the Visual C++
> project files so that libtheora and the associated experimental programs
> (dumpvid/encoderwin/splayer/transcoder) builds on Windows again.  I also
> have good news and good news.

Cool, thanks for doing that!

> The bad news is: experimental\splayer doesn't work.  It compiles, but
> segfaults immediately when you try to play any Ogg file.  The bug
> appears to be some bad interaction with SDL, but I'm not sure exactly
> what the problem is.  If somebody experienced with SDL and Windows would
> like to take a look, I'm sure there'll be happiness all around.

IIRC splayer has some sync issues as well.

> The good news is: all the other experimental programs seem to work fine.
>  I've tested dumpvid, encoderwin, and transcoder, and they seem OK.

Lovely. Note there's a spiffed up, builds on *nix version of
transcoder in the theora-tools module.

In general I'd really like to clean up the win32 experimental stuff, and
have working project files to build the library, and some working
examples. The more useful tools like transcode should move to the
theora-tools package. It would also be nice not to have to ship SDL and
portaudio in the normal source tarball; these add quite a bit of space.

Maybe the thing to do is to reduce the libtheora source to just the
library and do a separate win32sdk the way we do with vorbis. Maybe it
should even be the same package?