[Theora-dev] using theora

John Kintree jkintree at swbell.net
Sun Sep 12 19:57:58 PDT 2004

On Sunday 12 September 2004 03:39 pm, Ralph Giles wrote:
> Jan's ffmpeg2theora tool has switches to do this as part of a single
> step; it's easier to use than the pipes with mplayer. You might give
> that a try. http://www.v2v.cc/~j/ffmpeg2theora/

Yes, that's much better.  When I executed
ffmpeg2theora-0.11.linux.bin -v 0 -a 1 -x 352 -y 288 video.dv
my 46 second, 161 MByte dv format video was encoded in about three minutes,
into a 1.5 MByte ogg theora format.  It played like actual video instead of a
slide show, and while it was sort of grainy and fuzzy compared with the mpeg1
version, the mpeg1 version is 10.9 MBytes.  Considering the difference in the
size of the files of the theora compared with the mpeg1 version, the xiph
team is doing very well; awesome, really.
Regards,
John