[Theora-dev] Ogg spec

Robert Brautigam robert.brautigam at jmind.hu
Thu Nov 11 15:53:21 PST 2004

Hi,

I'm currently trying to implement the Ogg specification in pure Java
from scratch. (I know, something like that does exist, but that's a rewrite
from C, at least that's my impression).
I'm a bit confused with the number of lacing values/segments in a page,
and the maximum length a page can have. The specification says, that
there can be 255 segments in a page, 255 bytes each + 27 bytes header =
65052. But later it states the maximum size of a page is 65307 which is
strangely 255*256+27. Now where does that extra segment come from?
I tried to read every FA I've found, and the mail archives, but couldn't
figure this one out. Either I don't "get" something, or that's simply
miscalculated.
Similar minor issue: How does one describe a 'nil' page. The reference
implementation libogg-1.1.1 seems to write a 'page_segment' of 0, and no
lacing values, but the rfc states, that a 'nil' page contains only a
lacing value of 0 (so a page_segment value of 1). Of course both seem
correct, but which is it then?

Robert.
Ps.: I did not find an ogg-only list, I hope, I'm not offtopic here.