[Theora-dev] Encoding paramaters...

illiminable ogg
Fri Jul 2 09:10:14 PDT 2004

I've got my encoder working now... and i put a proeprty page interface to
allow the user to set a few encoding paramters to start off with... but
changing the paramters doesn't seem to make barely any difference...

These are the defaults i'm using...

mTheoraInfo.target_bitrate=400000;
mTheoraInfo.quality=30;
mTheoraInfo.dropframes_p=0;
mTheoraInfo.quick_p=1;
mTheoraInfo.keyframe_auto_p=1;
mTheoraInfo.keyframe_frequency=64;
mTheoraInfo.keyframe_frequency_force=64;
mTheoraInfo.keyframe_data_target_bitrate=mTheoraInfo.target_bitrate*1.5;
mTheoraInfo.keyframe_auto_threshold=80;
mTheoraInfo.keyframe_mindistance=8;
mTheoraInfo.noise_sensitivity=1;

And i'm letting the user set target_bitrate, quality and
keyframe_frequency...

The fields i don't understand are quick_p.... what does this do ? What
implications does it have on the other parameters.

Should freq_force be set equal to keyframe_freq ? or doesn't matter.

What does dropframes_p and keyframe_auto_p and auto_threshold and noise
sensitivity do ? And what are the valid ranges/values for these paramaters.

Do any parameters invlaidate others ?

Thanks,

Zen.