[theora-dev] Using Theora in games?

Alen Ladavac alenl-ml at croteam.com
Fri Feb 13 07:14:18 PST 2004

Hi all,

Warning guinea pig coming your way.... ;)

I don't know how much you guys might be interested in this, but our team
might try using Ogg Theora for FMV scenes in some of our future game
projects. We've been among the first teams to use Ogg Vorbis in games, which
was also in very-alpha-don't-use-this-yet stage at that time, so I hope this
shouldn't be much more of a problem. Generally, format freezing is not much
of an issue to us, naturally, since decoder is tightly coupled with the
content.

I browsed through the list archives and saw some mentions of some
experimental Win32 test-suite projects. Are those still available and where?
Can't find them on the site. I would like to have some encoder for Windows -
even command line would do - (so artists can use it), and a simple example
of video decoding (so we can make a test player). Any help is greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Alen