[Theora-dev] theora playlist extension

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Mon Aug 23 19:17:54 PDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 01:57:23AM +0200, j at thing.net wrote:

> > If you go with .mxu, I'd suggest video/vnd.mediaurl instead; no reason
> > to pretend it's mpeg-specific. Or the more traditional video/x-mediaurl.

> on debian i get for some time now:
> $ grep mxu /etc/mime.types
> video/vnd.mpegurl                               mxu

Ah I see. Yes, it was registered two years ago with IANA, and
unfortunately the description specifes 'MPEG' file urls. I couldn't
find a spec for audio/mpegurl on the IANA site. Does anyone have
a link? I thought that was approved upstream.

> its ok to add a mimetype video/x-mediaurl, it just will not be .mxu

Well, since we've been abusing audio/mpegurl for Ogg Vorbis, I don't
see why we can't likewise abuse video/vnd.mpegurl. The registrar hardly
has the moral high ground, having sinned through (a) insufficient
generality and (b) failure to learn from the mistakes of the past.

Heiko Recktenwald, as contact for the media-type, do you have a comment?

If we tried to fix things and went with video/x-mpegurl, what extension
should we choose? .mvu?

> > What about mixed playlists then?
> duno, thats video with black parts?

Or no video at all, depending on whether your video playback device
can be instanciated at run time.

> my interest is primarily in launching a player with a link,
> not playlists as such. its just that for historic reasons the two are
> the same for audio.

Both approaches have their uses, and both should work.

Cheers,