[theora-dev] VP30

Mike Melanson melanson at pcisys.net
Thu May 8 08:48:43 PDT 2003

On Wed, 7 May 2003, Aaron krill wrote:

> Hey, wow... there's actually activity on this list. Just when I thought the
> theora project lost its voice box, it whimpers... ya, I'm bored. I'm not an
> expert on all these versions of VP3, but wouldn't it make sense not to change
> the bitstream until the next major release? Or is VP31 not a point release
> and I'm just really confused?

        Err, probably the latter. First, there was a video codec, VP3.0,
with the fourcc 'VP30'. Eventually, the codec was modified and improved to
be VP3.1 wth the fourcc 'VP31'. That is the version they released as open
source well over a year ago. There are other versions (VP32, VP40, and
VP50, I believe).

        What about VP10 and VP20? Not positive, but I suspect that On2
(formerly Duck) decided that the Duck Truemotion codecs were numbers 1 and
2 and start VP at #3.

        Hope this helps...

--
	-Mike Melanson