[theora-dev] bitstream changes

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Tue May 13 04:12:15 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 13, 2003, at 12:59 am, Dan Miller wrote:

> Thanks for the work.  I did implement a more efficient packing scheme
> for the huff trees.  I will need to check out your build with the
> multiple header packets & merge them.

You're welcome. The merge shouldn't be too hard. We're still calling
your read_/write_QTables/FrequencyCounts() from
theora_encode/decode_tables().

> We really should get the huffman changes in there; there were some
> other things I did at that time, I need to review the code.

I agree. Lets hold alpha 2 for those.

> I guess that's me.  Unfortunately with the change in my employment
> status at On2, I haven't put as much time into this as I would like.
> I've gone from being paid to work on it to a volunteer status.  That
> doesn't mean it won't get done, but I can't put an exact date on it.
> I figure about a month of reasonably consistent work will get us to a
> reasonable place for beta release.  I'm hoping to put that month in
> starting in a couple weeks, so perhaps July 1 is a reasonabe date to
> look for.

A couple of others had mentioned interest as well. Would it help if
others contributed or would you prefer to work on your own for the
initial draft? That timescale sounds fine I think. There's lots of code
polish that can be done in the meantime which will make for a shorter
beta.

> Isn't the plan to integrate Ogg2 into this beta release?  How is that
> looking?

I'm sure that was the original plan. Personally I've been punting in
the hope that monty will have time to come back to it. I've not looked
at it much, but I understand the zerocopy part is in active use with
tremor, and the API looks very close if someone else wants to do the
changeover. In the sense that it's an optimization I think it's
reasonable to leave until a later beta.

In the sense that it's a new api for multiplexing, the line is less
clear. I don't know what monty had in mind here; both libogg2 and
OggFile have been mentioned in this sense. I don't feel I have
sufficient understanding of the issues at this point to judge a good
API design for that. Hopefully experimenting with tools will help us in
this direction.

IMHO,