[theora-dev] Re: Ogg Internet Drafts - create application/ogg-vorbis, application/ogg-tarkin, etc.

Aaron Krill spring.dude at verizon.net
Sun Jan 5 22:51:24 PST 2003

I noticed that the subject of this discussion is about creating seperate
ogg-vorbis and ogg-tarkin mime types. In case this is actually still the
topic, here is my opinion on why you shouldn't create seperate types. If it
isn't, ignore me.

If i'm correct, Ogg is a multimedia container capable of carrying multiple
datastreams with pretty much any format. So you could have a whole DVD,
including the special features in seperate video streams (whether it's
MPEG-2, Tarkin, or Theora, it doesnt matter), different languages in
different vorbis audio streams (Doesn't matter what format here either). You
could have a Quicktimevideo stream with a Speex audio stream, right? If each
data stream has a few bytes defining what format it is, which I believe it
does, then have the player figure out which data streams are what formats
and what is what. Or, if you are going to create different mime-types, dont
make them format specific... make them type specific, such as ogg-video or
ogg-audio.

That's my rant...

--Aaron--