[vorbis-dev] Re: [theora-dev] Re: Ogg Internet Drafts - create application/ogg-vorbis, application/ogg-tarkin, etc.

Carsten Haese carsten at uniqsys.com
Thu Jan 2 11:44:40 PST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 13:48, David Wheeler wrote:
> I remain convinced that there need to be both generic Ogg MIME types
> and specific MIME types for common codecs placed in Ogg.
> Having _only_ a generic MIME type will be serious problem over time.

Well, it looks like we we fighting so hard we didn't realize that we
completely agree. I never advocated having _only_ the generic
application/ogg MIME type. [Especially since I pointed out already that
the Vorbis spec does allow for the audio/x-vorbis special case.] I was
simply trying to say that there must be a way for handling the general
case, and that the special cases can be handled either by a special
tool, or by the general tool as instances of the general case. It all
comes down to choice.

Best regards,

Carsten Haese.