[theora-dev] Theora streaming

Arc arc at indymedia.org
Thu Feb 27 12:14:04 PST 2003

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 02:58:33PM -0500, Dan Miller wrote:

> > I thought
> > you had to back up to the previous complete frame,
> > then apply the differences in the following frames
> > to generate a new complete frame where the splice
> > was to happen. Are you going to handle editing to
> > arbitrary frames? I believe you have to do something
> > analogous in theora/ogg.
>
> yup.

It's not really an issue of dropping "frames" off, but rather,
Ogg packets/pages.  Trim a few off the beginning and suddenly you're a
few fractions of a second into the clip.

A slightly different question would be how well VP3's keyframes are
being matched to the beginning of Ogg packets/pages.  How would an
editor know which packet contained the next keyframe, so it knew how far
it would have to trim to?

Of course, if the editor was really intelligent, it could potentially
render a new keyframe at any hypothetical location, but this would
require codec-specific coding.  It would be much better if every
page started with a keyframe, thus cutting at any page border would be
legal.