[theora-dev] Theora streaming

Jay Sprenkle cupycake_jay at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 27 10:39:43 PST 2003

--- Arc <arc at indymedia.org> wrote:
> I'm working on a higher level than probobally most
> on the list, building
> an "editor" for post-encoded Oggs by allowing users
> to easily trim and
> chain together different ogg files to compile a
> larger work without
> transcoding.
>
> The chaining together is actually quite simply, if
> you have two legal
> ogg files you simply concat'ate them together.. even
> the traditional
> "cat" command can do this legally (correct me if I'm
> wrong, it works
> with Vorbis).  Trimming/cutting is slightly more
> difficult since the
> BOS/EOS need to be replaced after it's packets are
> trimmed, but I seem
> to have a pretty good grasp on it.

The problem I had with MPEG editors was not
many of them would do a frame by frame edit.
I thought this was because the programmer didn't
want to put in the effort to do it right. I thought
you had to back up to the previous complete frame,
then apply the differences in the following frames
to generate a new complete frame where the splice
was to happen. Are you going to handle editing to
arbitrary frames? I believe you have to do something
analogous in theora/ogg.

Do you Yahoo!?
http://taxes.yahoo.com/