[theora-dev] More Missing Pieces

Mike Melanson melanson at pcisys.net
Mon Feb 24 11:44:30 PST 2003

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Dan Miller wrote:

> It's about 6Kbytes.  A typical video keyframe is bigger.  It's a similar issue to Vorbis, with the global code tables.

        Will the token tables be transported as frequency histograms as is
done in the current source? That means:

  80 tables * 32 freqs/table * 2 bytes/freq = 5120 bytes

Okay, I guess I see where you're coming from. If someone were to try to
encapsulate this data in an AVI, ASF, or MOV file (just in case Ogg
adoption doesn't take off right away), I guess it would need to go inside
the video header?

> I suppose we could put in a "VP3-compat" flag, but it seemed easier to just shove the VP3 tables in if you want them -- among other things, you could remove these tables from the binaries.

        But there is still the minor issue of compatibility with VP3
streams which necessitates the inclusion of the classic tables.

        Thanks...

--
	-Mike Melanson