[theora-dev] More Missing Pieces

Dan Miller dan at on2.com
Mon Feb 24 12:26:59 PST 2003

> From: Mike Melanson [mailto:melanson at pcisys.net]
> 	Will the token tables be transported as frequency
> histograms as is
> done in the current source? That means:
>
>   80 tables * 32 freqs/table * 2 bytes/freq = 5120 bytes

yes, that's how it's being done.  If it isn't checked in, I can send the patch to you.

> Okay, I guess I see where you're coming from. If someone were
> to try to
> encapsulate this data in an AVI, ASF, or MOV file (just in case Ogg
> adoption doesn't take off right away), I guess it would need
> to go inside
> the video header?

umm, that's a good question.  I guess it's the same problem as with Vorbis; I hadn't really thought about this.  I think all these formats have some sort of codec-specific stream header data, don't they?

> > I suppose we could put in a "VP3-compat" flag, but it
> seemed easier to just shove the VP3 tables in if you want
> them -- among other things, you could remove these tables
> from the binaries.
>
> 	But there is still the minor issue of compatibility with VP3
> streams which necessitates the inclusion of the classic tables.

Only if you want a binary that does both.  The cases I'm envisioning would be embedded apps where that probably wouldn't be an issue.

-dan