[theora-dev] What sort of math i required?

Mike Melanson melanson at pcisys.net
Sat Dec 6 09:34:20 PST 2003

On 6 Dec 2003 erivy7302 at sneakemail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Keep up the good work! The file sizes of Theora's output is amazing!
>
> I have just joined the list, and would like to contribute to the
> Theora/Vorbis project on the mathematics side, but I don't know what is
> required.
>
> As of now I have the basics in mathematics of the Danish
> Technical University.
>
> So I was wondering if anyone can tell me, what sort of
> math that is the central of Theora and Vorbis, so I can choose courses
> based on that?
>
> My guess it that DCT is the core...?

        Check out my VP3/Theora document at:
  http://home.pcisys.net/~melanson/codecs/vp3-format.txt
The section "Underlying Coding Concepts" gives a brief overview of each
mathematical concept used in Theora coding. The DCT is surely the most
complicated one presented.

        However, there is also more math involved in encoding when you
cover topics such as data rate control and psycho-visual models.

        For Vorbis, take a gander at the official spec:
  http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/docs.html
For some reason, the coding concepts of audio coding tend to be more
complicated than those for video coding.

--
	-Mike Melanson