[theora-dev] Interlaed video encoding.

Timothy B. Terriberry tterribe at vt.edu
Tue Aug 26 19:13:26 PDT 2003

Adding interlaced support to Theora has been discussed. Without going
into the technical details of our approach, the main issue is that this
is a heavily patented arena. Some people believe that many of the
patents are very weak, but we are not patent lawyers, and a quick search
of just MPEG2 patents yielded almost 30 that involved interlacing in the
US alone.

In other words, the challenge is not a technical one, it is a legal one,
and currently the time involved simply to read and comprehend all the
patents involved is prohibitive.