[theora-dev] Development status?

Rodolphe ORTALO rortalo at axians.com
Wed Apr 23 03:15:58 PDT 2003

Thanks for your answer. I've read the page; of course
now I have a few more questions, if you don't mind. :-)

"document the codec. When we have a complete draft we can go beta."

Do you mean a RFC-style document concerning the algo.,
packet and stream format;
or a man-style set of programming documentation for
the various functions offered by the codec?
Maybe both?
(Corollary: what's the usual on-line documentation
format for Xiph projects: man, docbook, other?)

"implement/document MNGOverlay
settle on metaheader stream format, if any
settle on subtitle/transcript format if any"

All these headers, overlay and co. issues seems related
to the issue of "multiple streams" data (ie: true
multimedia data, at least with sound and video, but
also the other things like subtitles, overlays,
authoring info., etc.). That leads me to a higher
level question.
 Is there some provision in the ogg stream format for
managing such aspects related to multiple media (synchro
issues, acceptable loss, etc.)? Should it be done at
this level or in a upper layer? (Doing it all via
metadata does not seem totally sensible to me.)

Rodolphe