[theora-dev] Specific code questions

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Sun Sep 15 12:11:13 PDT 2002

On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 06:37:33PM -0400, Dan Miller wrote:
> >I'm seriously considering
> tossing Ogg's bitpacker into the codec as it has defined endianness
> behavior and is already used throughout Ogg (the API is very similar).
>
> If we "toss Ogg's bitpacker" into the codec, that would imply a bitstream change, right?

No, no change...  About five more minutes of thinking past this
original message made it clear that things were indeed well defined to
be MSb-first and that Ogg will need to have that support eventually
anyway... no time like the present to add it.  It will make other
aspects of life easier.

> have to check on this as well.  I guess what you're thinking about is to put the OGG packer deep in the codec code; I assume it deals with buffer overflow gracefully, etc.

Yes.  The Ogg bitpacking calls look just like the VP3 bitpacker, it
just handles more on its own in the background.  The change will be
easy and not affect bitstream.

Monty