[theora-dev] Specific code questions

Dan Miller dan at on2.com
Sat Sep 14 15:40:28 PDT 2002

> Ah, Write32ToBuffer is doign the flipping.  What an odd little bitpacker.

hmm... so I guess my previous post was all wrong?   Or perhaps I'm confused, and this routine is doing just what I said -- making sure the byte order is the same on all architectures?  I'm going to check into this with those who know what is going on.  I apologize for shooting off before I had my information straight.

(At one point I wrote a 32 bit version of the Ogg bitpacker that did
byte flipping when necessary, and it turned out to be slower than the
8 bit packer we use now.  Also, you have the lowest level bithandling
operations split between several C modules; this will kill any chance
at compiler optimization).

Anyway, it appears that the bitpacker used by VP3 is the exact
opposite packing order used by Ogg... Ah well.

Monty