[theora-dev] Theora branch and win/mac codecs

emaillist at dogphilosophy.net emaillist at dogphilosophy.net
Fri Sep 27 17:27:35 PDT 2002

On Friday 27 September 2002 05:05 pm, Tabuleiro wrote:
> Hi. Do you guys have plans to eventually merge the modifications done in
> the Theora branch back into the Win/Mac codecs?
[...]
> Having the current codecs is very important [...]

DISCLAIMER - I am NOT, in any 'real' way, affiliated directly
with this project, I'm just a rabid fan of it.

Looking through the theora.org site and descriptions of the project,
I doubt it.  However, any improvements made ARE freely available,
so someone else is welcome to back-port changes to the older avi
and quicktime frameworks if they want.

Given that they've already got working vp3-in-ogg, I wouldn't think
they've got any reason to divert efforts from the Theora project
for avi- or quicktime-specific development.

>From the looks of the alpha release, I suspect the only substantial
changes to the codec itself will be specifically related to fitting
it in the .ogg container rather than changes that affect the video quality,
which looks pretty good already in my limited experience...