[theora-dev] Theora branch and win/mac codecs

Tabuleiro beta at tabuleiro.com
Fri Sep 27 16:05:39 PDT 2002

Hi. Do you guys have plans to eventually merge the modifications done in the
Theora branch back into the Win/Mac codecs? I am asking because I was
working with the Win/Mac codebase, which makes sense for my application (we
also want to run on OS9 and OSX carbon, so CodeWarrior needs to be used as
the development environment.) Maybe it is too early to talk about this, but
what do you think is the best route to follow? Do you need someone to
maintain these branches and the VC++ and CW projects?

Having the current codecs is very important imo because they allow people to
use the commercial tools they already work with to compress VP3. I
understand that AVI and QT files would not be the final format, but maybe we
can code a simple tool to convert from AVI/QT files with VP3/Vorbis tracks
to an Ogg stream, obviously without recompression. There are also several
freeware/shareware tools for Windows and Mac (like VirtualDub) that are
widely used, but they only work with VFW or QT codecs. Any thoughts on this?

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini
Tabuleiro