[theora-dev] Analogue artifact estimation

Henry Mason hip245 at operamail.com
Mon Sep 2 15:35:00 PDT 2002

> What I'm thinking of is a true psycho-visual model that tracks the human
> eye/brain's ability to perceive things in various frequency/spatial
> domains, ie least noticeable differences and such.  I have yet to see any
> compelling research in this area that has been effectively reduced to
> practice in designing compression algorithms.

This would certainly be extremely cool, and likely have huge benefits, especially if a free software project were to get to this before anyone else. Of course, it would likely also involve a lot of work, but it sounds like we've got time and at least a few people who know what they're doing.

This might be a good time time for me to go off-topic a little bit and ask about how this project is supposed to work. As I'm understanding it, and I may very well be totally wrong, the purpose of Theora is to create a way to put the VP3.2 video codec and the Vorbis audio codec into the Ogg container, thus creating an essentially patent-free audio and video format to compete with MPEG, Windows Media, RealMedia and the like. Meanwhile, there is another project, Tarkin (aka W3D) which is trying to create a totally new, multi-dimensional video codec, with a release date sometime in the far-off future. Tarkin, as it is, seems a bit dead in the water.

What I guess I'm getting around to is this: Is this kind of work (psycho-visual models, filtering, etc.) on the video codec itself outside the scope of Theora? Is Theora really 2 projects, one for the container, one for the video codec? Do we want to make drastic changes to the codec, or should we hold off until Theora 1.0 is out the door? According to the FAQs:

"Theora will be almost entirely based upon the VP3 codec designed by On2."

Do we really think that it will take a year to figure out how to put VP3 into the Ogg container? Isn't a lot of this work already done with the "OGM" format that is being used in the "DVD Back-Up" scene? (http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/ogmtools/)

Am I totally missing something here?

-Henry