[theora-dev] More introductions

Tabuleiro beta at tabuleiro.com
Wed Jul 17 17:09:15 PDT 2002

> As you suspect, Ogg does solve all of these issues. Like any
> well-designed protocol most of that comes automatically, so don't be too
> intimidated by drop-out handling and so on. For clients it shouldn't
> amount to much more than checking return values properly. (well, seeking
> aside)

The Vorbis source code and libraries illustrate this, so I believe you when
you say that the Ogg frameworks could be the solution. My only concern is
that it could take too much time to have it ready. But I guess this depends
a lot on how many people work on it, right?

> > 2) "Emulate" the VFW behavior, which would give me a hook into the
> > existing
> That's pretty much what I'd always envisioned for the api. vorbis works
> exactly that way for audio. YUV is indeed the native 'colorspace' for
> VP3, but you generally want to return both RGB and YUV in a variety of
> depths and packings for the convenience of the client, so we'll probably
> either support that or have an optional layer of code that does the
> conversion. Gamma, colour correction, and additional colourspace support

This would be wonderful. I believe one error a lot of open source projects
do is to try to cater for all possible audiences and possibilities, and this
makes the code slightly bloated (as we all know software developers have a
tendency to complicate things...) One example of this is Mozilla, imo. I
followed development for a couple of years, and it kept growing and
growing... What I believe should be a light HTML renderer turned out into a
monster 10MB package. It is wonderful, but difficult to use in embedding
situations, which was my original goal. :)

Of course one of the advantages of being open source is that other
developers can choose to clean up the code and use only the relevant
portions. But it would be better imo if this "minimal" approach was
considered from the start to avoid forking, and whenever possible offset
more advanced tasks to optional components, more or less self contained. As
I mentioned before the Vorbis souce code is one of the cleanest, most
portable examples of code I have seen in the open source community, and I
guess this comes largely from being implemented by not many people, with
clear goals in mind Do you agree?

>We certainly do need help with tools. I believe Monty has volunteered
>for the codec cleanup and ogg embedding, but we'll also need a encoding
>and playback examples and apps for a variety of platforms and formats,

Well, if you guys have any task in mind let us know, I will be glad to at
least do a little research and maybe start helping with the code cleanup. I
have some experience writing Windows Media / DirectShow / Quicktime players,
so I guess I will be able to help with the encoding tool eventually. Maybe
studying the existing Ogg framework files is a good start?

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini
Tabuleiro