[theora-dev] More introductions

Ralph Giles zen6669 at zen.co.uk
Wed Jul 17 16:39:41 PDT 2002

On Thursday, July 18, 2002, at 12:18 AM, Tabuleiro wrote:

> 1) Interleave audio and video using an AVI like RIFF structure.

As you suspect, Ogg does solve all of these issues. Like any
well-designed protocol most of that comes automatically, so don't be too
intimidated by drop-out handling and so on. For clients it shouldn't
amount to much more than checking return values properly. (well, seeking
aside)

> 2) "Emulate" the VFW behavior, which would give me a hook into the
> existing
> VP3 codec code. The basic VFW API is very simple, and only does a
> couple of
> calls to the codec, basically passing a bag of bytes and requesting a
> decompressed frame in a given format (negotiated in advance.) I was
> planning
> to use only one type of surface (probably RGB because it is easier to
> port,
> but I understand the VP3 likes YUV better, and needs additional steps to
> decompress to RGB. Is this right?)

That's pretty much what I'd always envisioned for the api. vorbis works
exactly that way for audio. YUV is indeed the native 'colorspace' for
VP3, but you generally want to return both RGB and YUV in a variety of
depths and packings for the convenience of the client, so we'll probably
either support that or have an optional layer of code that does the
conversion. Gamma, colour correction, and additional colourspace support
are other examples of additional processing that might be reasonably
included.

imo,
  -r