[theora-dev] Section 508/Closed captioning

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Fri Jul 19 13:33:57 PDT 2002

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 01:39:53PM -0400, Eric M. Kidd wrote:
> Just a random architectural note, while I'm thinking about it:
>
> The United States government has published a set of mandatory
> "accessibility" guidelines, which require almost all
> federally-purchased software to provide support for disabled users.
> For video architectures (such as Ogg Theora) this translates into
> support for closed captions.
>
> So, in addition to audio and video tracks, it would be highly desirable
> for Ogg to support some kind of caption or text track.

The plan is to use an interleaved MNG stream for graphical
closed-captioning. There's already an MNG interleaver in ogg-tools in
CVS.

If someone could write or find a time-oriented *streamable* XML (or
XML-like) text display and positioning stream definition, this could
also be used for closed captioning purposes.

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net>
- "Know thyself."