[theora-dev] Introduction, questions

Eric M. Kidd Eric.M.Kidd at Dartmouth.EDU
Wed Jul 17 14:13:56 PDT 2002

First, an introduction: I work in a group that makes educational software.   In the coming months, we're planning to release our entire Mac/Windows runtime under the GPL.  We currently encode our audio with MP3 and our video with VP3.  For playback, we rely on QuickTime 5 on MacOS and Windows.

In the short run, we'd like to help maintain the VP3 QuickTime codecs, preferably without forking the VP3 code base.  Would the Ogg Theora project object to receiving patches for non-Theora portions of VP3?

In the long run, we're extremely interested in Ogg Theora itself.  We need a reliable streaming media architecture, and QuickTime 6 has been causing much wailing and gnashing of teeth lately.  What kind of help could the Ogg Theora project use?

Thank you for your time, and for all your work on open source media architectures!

Cheers,
Eric