[theora-dev] Using the VP3 ENCODER in a DIRECTSHOW GRAPH wit defined quality and BANDWIDTH - HOW?

Daniel B. Miller dan at on2.com
Fri Aug 23 04:50:39 PDT 2002

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Thomas Tomiczek wrote:

> Hi. Inline - with heavy cutting now...
>
> *** Hm, MSVC, Service Pack 4 - what about current versions of MSVC? I
> will get it and ry to compile it using MSVC 7 and upwards.

It should work fine, but we've never tried it.  We're using MSVC 6.0 --
see VP32_build.html.  I admit the build is a bit tricky; mainly because
there's lots of optimized code.  Make sure to read the notes carefully and
you should be fine.

> standard for video manipulation seems a little awkward for me. The
> current standard for video encoding/decoding and a lot of other things
> in windows is DirectShow, Video for Windows is outdated by a LARGE
> degree.

hmm -- let me clarify.  "Bringing it to the world" means developing a
platform-independent bitstream and codec specification for audio and
video.  That is the primary goal of Theora; once this is accomplished, it
should be supported on all relevant platforms, of which DirectShow is one.
But writing and maintaining various codecs now, before the specification
is complete, is really putting the cart before the horse.  It's fine for
app developers such as yourself to do it, but it is simply not the top
priority for Theora.org.  The VFW and QT codecs exist simply because that
is the form that Vp3 was in when On2 handed it over.

>And wirting a DMO is pretty trivial :-)

Ahh, so it should be a piece of cake for you! 8-]

> *** You have some results hopefully on Monday - I will go for the full
> build way - lets see where we end up.

Good luck.

> Thomas

 ___  Dan Miller