[theora-dev] Using the VP3 ENCODER in a DIRECTSHOW GRAPH wit defined quality and BANDWIDTH - HOW?

Daniel B. Miller dan at on2.com
Thu Aug 22 12:30:26 PDT 2002

hi Thomas --

> Let us start with soeme questions:
> (a) Is there a lib with associated header file that I can then use to
> link into the codec, or do I have to rebuild the codec here completly
> myself? I would prefer to be able to create the filter dll without
> having to go through the complete build process.

I think it's in your interest to build the libs yourself.  There are no
'official' libraries; the source code is what you have to start with if
you don't want to use the DLL's.  If you have build problems, please let
me know.  Once you are set up correctly (MSVC, service pak 4, intel
headers etc) it should be very straightforward to build the libraries.

> (b) Is there a FourCC code allocated for the encoded video stream?
> Basically, what would the FourCC code be if you would use the codec to
> encode video for an AVI file? I need this information for the generation
> of the correct video subtypes :-)

The fourCC for Vp3 is "VP31".

> (c) Can you name me a header file that includes the definitions of the
> configuration functions the codec has, so that I can create a COM
> interface for this.

The easiest way would be to start with vp31vfw.cpp & .h.  These functions
are called by the VFW interface, and are reasonably comprehensible.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I need to be clear that it is
not possible for me to make any promises about supporting your task.  If
you think you're up to it, great. Our priority needs to stay focused on
improving the core technology and bringing it into the world.  Perhaps
others on this list will jump in and help.

Best of luck --