[theora-dev] Cross-Compiling VP3 lib on Linux

Mike Melanson melanson at pcisys.net
Mon Aug 5 07:54:19 PDT 2002

Hi,
        I have been working with VP3 for some time now. Dan Miller from
On2 just told me about this list.

        A few months ago, I managed to get On2's VP3 source snapshot to
compile under Linux, a feat that many have apparently attempted and
quickly abandoned. I compiled a small console app and the results of the
experiment are explained here:
  http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/22001/2002/5/0/8664041/

        Last night, I finally took that same experiment and formed a xine
video decoder plugin from it. (Aside: xine is a multimedia player for
Linux that I help develop: http://xine.sf.net) The plugin appeared to work
all right in that it did not crash. The picture is a bit scrambled. It
looks like too many pixels (or not enough pixels) are being copied from
the source planes.

        I'm using the ThisFrameRecon YUV buffer pointer member of the PBI
struct as the final display frame. I'm using the [Y|U|V]DataOffset members
in order to index into the buffer. Is that the right thing to do?

        Thanks...

--
	-Mike Melanson