[theora-codecs] VFW Install

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at xiph.org
Sat Sep 13 07:41:40 PDT 2003

The installers that I put online were assembled with a commercial tool
(ClickTeam's Installer Maker). I believe I still have the scripts somewhere
if you are using the same tool, but you can reproduce the registrations
steps easily using your particular installer.  I don't think this is
documented anywhere, but you just need the following the procedure for
registering VFW codecs, nothing special. The first step is to copy the codec
to the system directory. The registration step however depends on the
version of Windows you are installing into:

a) if you are installing on WindowsNT/2000/XP, set the following at the
registry:

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32
Subkey: vidc.vp31
String: vp31vfw.dll

b) for Win95/98/ME, you need to write to system.ini instead:

Section: drivers32
Entry: vidc.vp31
String: vp31vfw.dll

That's it. The codec will create another registry entry the first time it
runs to store settings, but this is automatic.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini