[theora-codecs] theora ultra low bitrate support (vp3 style)

Blibbler blibblelibby at black-market-babies.com
Sat Jun 14 10:12:27 PDT 2003

The "fast" vp3 codec I have is one I got when I purchased the OSX
quicktime version (before it was open sourced.) Unfortunately, it is
affected by the QT6 bug. Released versions since it was open sourced
have been much slower at decoding. The latest version doesn't seem to
have a QT6 problem, but it decodes generally much slower than the older
one that I have (when decoding without scaling.)

The url for a sit file of the older codec can be found:
<http://mornmist.2y.net/~blibbler/On2_VP3OSX.sit>

The newer codecs seem to encode faster than this one, and there are
slightly different results with decoding psnr numbers, but nothing that
should justify the difference in decoding speed.

Colin.