[theora-codecs] theora ultra low bitrate support (vp3 style)

Blibbler blibblelibby at black-market-babies.com
Sat Jun 14 02:13:11 PDT 2003

On Saturday, June 14, 2003, at 03:36  AM, Tyler Knott wrote:

> ced-spam wrote:
>
>> is low bitrate (30kb for example) support  planned ?
>> vp3 codecs support these bitrates really well.
>> used with speex it would provide an efficient videoconferencing codec
>> format
>
> Theora is based on VP3 which does an excelent job at low-bitrate
> encoding.  I'm not sure if VP3 would be appropriate for
> teleconfrencing though.  One thing that should be majory improved in
> Theora is video decoding speed.  Right now VP3 is useless beyond
> really low resolutions for playback on anything less than a 2 GHz P4

That is not my experience. I can decode 640x352x25 video with mp3 audio
on my g4/350 with a vp3 codec (unfortunately it is not the latest
official codec, which is much slower.) Even With a 1GHz P3, you should
be able to watch a 320x240x25 stream.

in any case, why would you need to decode at a high speed if you are
streaming video at very low bitrates... I am a big fan of VP3s, but you
would not get more than 25fps at 240x320 with only 30kbps to play with.

Colin.