[theora-codecs] theora ultra low bitrate support (vp3 style)

Tyler Knott vault-responce at charter.net
Fri Jun 13 12:36:21 PDT 2003

ced-spam wrote:

> is low bitrate (30kb for example) support  planned ?
> vp3 codecs support these bitrates really well.
> used with speex it would provide an efficient videoconferencing codec
> format

Theora is based on VP3 which does an excelent job at low-bitrate
encoding.  I'm not sure if VP3 would be appropriate for teleconfrencing
though.  One thing that should be majory improved in Theora is video
decoding speed.  Right now VP3 is useless beyond really low resolutions
for playback on anything less than a 2 GHz P4