[theora-codecs] Call for bugs and suggestions [One more try]

Apollyon spambrat at paypc.com
Wed Apr 23 11:59:58 PDT 2003

> If you try to build the libraries directly with CW 6 or 7 some assembler
> files will not work.

I always hated CodeWarrior's moving targets, especially with respect to
assembler syntax/capabilities.  I liked MPW's stability and generally durable
build processes, even if some in the Macintosh community call them "primitive".

The irony here is that I consider 5.3 the last CW which runs on a "normal"
MacOS system (6 and beyond require CarbonLib, which often makes systems very
unstable and crash-prone or just downright slow).

If/when you fix or resolve this problem, might I suggest not intentionally
breaking compile support for older CW's?

> Just to let you know, I am upgrading the Windows projects to use .Net, as
> this will help Windows users get rid of the requirements to install VC 6,
> some service packs, get the iaxmm.inc, and the processor pack.

Hrm, VC is at least well established and understood.  Even *I* have it, and I'm
not much of a Windows programmer.

> For the Mac I've been trying to make a build that is easy to compile with
> CW7, without requiring the intermediary CW 5.3 build, but this has not worked
> so far.

Maybe just making the intermediate libs as a prebuilt .o or something.  Do the
assembler files change that much?  I wonder if it'd be work it or not to make
the PPC assembler parts assemblable with the MPW toolchain (PPPAsm's syntax is
very similar to IBM's own assembler).  That will always work, and you can
import the resulting .o's into the project (any version of CW supports that).

So the "scaling problem" is definitely an issue on the Macintosh, but what I'm
seeing under Windows is even worse: even "perfect 2:1" scaling appears broken,
let alone "non-integer-multiple" scaling.  (I am using the latest nVidia 43.45
drivers.)

Just for the record: QT6 completely broke all video acceleration for my
Voodoo 5500 equipped Macintosh.  Under QT 5.x, both MPEG and QuickTime
acceleration worked wonderfully.  Under QT 6, it's slow and crusty and clearly
using software-only methods.

I think I can anticipate the response to this, which probably mirror's Apple's
own attitudes of late.  Ah well.

=R=