[Speex-dev] Resampler set_rate improvements

Wim Taymans wim.taymans at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 15:14:30 UTC 2016

Hi Jean-Marc,

Thanks for taking a look.

I've added an example program in the patches that changes the rate
frequently. You can run test-resample2 >test.raw and open in audacity or so
to look at the spectrum etc. I've attached a before/after screenshot.

In theory, depending on the current phase and the rate changes that are
applied, the error can be audible as a pop when changing rates. I've tested
this with a sine wave, it might not be as significant with 'normal' audio.

The speex resampler is used in pulseaudio to do resampling when matching
rates between cards etc. In this case, the rate would change quite
frequently. We would want to enable something more accurate but maybe as
you say, we should use a resampler more suited for dynamic rate changes...

With interpolated sinc table, a more accurate phase calculation should not
have any performance impact. For the full sinc table, it might be possible
that more phases need to be calculated (more memory + slower startup).

I quite like the speex resampler and its optimizations.  I have not tested
it but it looks like SRC would need some optimizations before it can be
used as a replacement, especially compared to the interpolated mode.

Wim